Friday, December 18, 2009

Eight Days Till' Christmas, and Seven Days Till' Christmas

Part I

*                    *                        *                        *                        *     

Here is the latest in writing class:
----
Mrs. _________ is planning on having us read Pride and Prejudice, which I think is totally STUPID.  I L-O-V-E   the movie--notes on that later--, but I tried to read it and couldn't understand it.  There is a person in my class who is younger than me; what is Mrs. _________ thinking? |that doesn't make the clearest of sense to me, it's BURNING   ME!!!!!!!

*Ahhhggggggghhhhjhdjkdhk!*

--well, maybe I'll understand it; I've watched a LOT of B.B.C Drama: Jane Eyre, Crandford, both Pride and Prejudice, and right now were watching Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

*                     *                       *                        *                            *

Part II

Notes On the Pride and Prejudice's:
----

The Newest One-the one with Kiara Knightly in it--:

LOVE IT! IT'S THE BEST--THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*

The Eight-Hour One:

It stunk for me.  The actors were really bad--Lizzie was too old, Jane was ugly (wasn't she supposed to me the prettiest Bennett sister?), Mr. Bennett was too skinney, Mrs. Bennett was also too skinney, Lidia had and odd mouth-shape, Kitty had a lager forehead, Charlotte didn't look the part; neither did any of them.
^
I don't know why all these people freak out about it, it's just O.K.






4 comments:

Steffani said...

I bet you'll be able to understand Pride and Prejudice better this time after all the BBC drama we've been engaged in. Remember, strength comes from stretching--even when it hurts a little. Love you forever, Mom.

Jenna said...

you should not be forced to do something that you do not want to do or understand like pride and Prejudice (p.s. look at my blog the link is no the email that i send you)
from, your friend (2nd cousin)

Unknown said...

I completely agree with your comments on the long BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. So many people swoon over it, but I thought the casting was problematic, for all the reasons you listed. Plus, and this might sound weird, but it's almost TOO faithful to the book, so it feels really slow. A movie should find ways to take advantage of the magic of cinema to find a new way to tell the story so that it remains faithful to the spirit of the book. I think the Keira Knightley version is a perfect example of how to adapt a book, because it really uses the camera to focus on the emotions inside the characters, rather than having to show you every piece of dialogue from the book. I love that 2006 version--it was my favorite movie that year.
I'm not sure what I think about requiring people to read Pride and Prejudice. I know that I would NOT have liked it if I would have had to read it in junior high. I did not read it until college, and I think it's even a challenging read for college students, so I don't think people should risk their enjoyment of a book by having to read something that isn't a good choice for their age level. That said, maybe it's something you'd like. I would try two chapters, and if you weren't liking it after two chapters, I'd set it aside for 5 years and then try again.

Anonymous said...

Well, for, heaven sakes, if Trevor says that then I stand corrected! Mom