Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hmmm...

I just barely saw a large bookstore with huge signs saying EVERYTHING MUST GO and GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.
     That's disgusting.
     That's sad.

I can't say I'm happy with Kindle and all of the other things like it.  Maybe it's because I don't like change, but the fact that you're carrying a book on a thin screen (though  the idea is kind of cool) around, just seems (not to be rude) unnecessary.  If things continue to move on like this, a book with a binding, not a computer chip be it a puffy letter A-B-C book or a Tolstoy novel will be a rare item.
   
A book, a real hold-in-your-hands book, is a symbol of knowledge.  Why give that up? Why not be excited by the freshness and thickness of the book when you by it?

I'm making too much of a deal about this whole thing; sorry, but to me and a lot of others, a book is better, as perishable and inconvenient as it might be.

4 comments:

Nikki Tj Kale and Jace said...

I agree Colman. I am just not a kindle person. Although, I don't buy many books either. I'm really a library person so I'm not really helping the cause! Maybe I'll buy a book this month and do my part!
Have a great day.
Nik

Sarah Anne said...

I totally agree with you. It makes it super helpful for research to have online access, but there's nothing like actually being able to turn the pages in a book. I guess if we can have a happy medium of both forms it'll work...right?

Unknown said...

Not trying to be rude or put any one down at all: Personally, I love the idea of a Kindle or Nook. Probably because I'm a technology geek, but still think it's a feat of the human mind that we can come up with something that, I, personally couldn't figure out if my life depended on it.
So yeah...

Unknown said...

Not trying to be rude or put any one down at all: Personally, I love the idea of a Kindle or Nook. Probably because I'm a technology geek, but still think it's a feat of the human mind that we can come up with something that, I, personally couldn't figure out if my life depended on it.
So yeah...