Friday, January 22, 2010

My Favorite Quotes

"Count to five-and-twenty, Tatty Quarum."
                                                             ~Little Dorrit (BBC), What Harriett's master says to her when she gets angry.


*****

"Shake me' up, Judy!"
                                 ~Bleak House (BBC), What Mr. Smallweed says when he needs his back bones cracked.

*****

LADY BRACKNELL.    Where did the charitable gentleman who had a first-class ticket for this seaside resort find you?

JACK [gravely].      In a handbag

LADY BRACKNELL.     A handbag?

JACK [very seriously].      Yes, Lady Bracknell,"-----------------------------------talks about what the handbag looked like, Lady Bracknell is shocked, and now to my favorite part--

8 lines later:

LADY BRACKNELL.    The line is immaterial.  Mr. Worthing, I confess I feel somewhat bewildered by what you have just told me.  To be born, at at any rate bred, in a handbag, whether it had handles or not, seems to me to display a contempt for the ordinary decencies of family life that reminds me of the worst excesses of the French Revolution.

                                                                        ~The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde, Act I

*****

(this next part, I may have some things wrong, but you get the idea--)

"Mrs. Bennet, as you know, my patroness, Lady Catherine de Bourgh wishes me to find a wife during my stay." (Mr. Collins)

"I have become quite aware." (Mrs. Bennet)

I find that sooooo funny because, all Mr. Collins talks about is Lady Catherine, so of course Mrs. Bennet is "aware." Seriously, why doesn't he just marry Lady Catherine???


*****

______________

That's All, Folks!
_______

1 comment:

Steffani said...

Hillarious! I am glad you recorded those so we can look back and remember all the things we were laughing about. I'm pretty sure we'll be saying, "Shake me up, Judy!" for years! So funny. Love you, MOM